ESIC Act is applicable in Maharashtra for Shops and Commercial Establishments where minimum 10 or
more persons are working since last preceding 12 months.
Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (“ESIC”) is a statutory corporate body set up under the ESI Act 1948, which is responsible for the administration of ESI Scheme in India. Social security and health insurance scheme which provides medical benefit, sickness benefit, maternity benefit, disablement benefit and various other benefits such as funeral expenses, free supply of physical aids etc. to the employees and their family.
Applicability of ESIC Act in Maharashtra from 01st October 2020:
• Notification No. ESIS 2015/C.R. 150/RAKAVI-2. Dated: 10th September 2020.
• From 1st October 2020 Provisions of Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948, is extended to the classes of establishments in column (2) of the said notification.
4) Road Motor Transport Establishments,
5) Cinema including preview theaters,
6) Newspaper establishments as defined in section 2 (d) of the Working Journalists (Condition of Service and Miscellaneous Provisions Act (45 of 1995)
• The Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948, becomes applicable, In above Classes of Establishments in which 10 or more persons are employed, or were employed on any day of the preceding 12 months.
i.e 1st November, 2019 to 30 Sept 2020 in this period if strength of employees in any months is 10 more than 10 employees then this Act will apply to the establishment from 1st Oct, 2020.
• Earlier this limit was 20 or more coverable employees in Maharashtra.
Note: For manufacturing unit with power it was already applicable on 10 persons.